Sunday, September 1, 2013

Don’t look at the moon through tree branches if you don’t want your house to burn down!

Dan’s cousin Baldy, probably in his middle teens, was a great joke & story teller. We were a few years younger than Baldy and all three of us worked for my dad at Myers Plant Co. – “Home of 50,000 plants.” Dad often put us to work with a sophisticated advanced technological tool called a “hoe” – a word that has definitely changed its meaning since we were kids.

When we were out in the field hoeing, Baldy would become like a “divinely inspired prophet” -- a channel through which endless jokes and stories would flow. Of course, an important part of this prophetic ritual was that it required Baldy to stop hoeing and used the hoe handle like a staff --  kind of like you see Moses leaning on. Of course, we had to also stop hoeing so we wouldn’t miss anything.

One day, after a house had caught fire and burned a few nights earlier, Baldy shared a mysterious insight from his wisdom, along with a deadly warning, with us. He pulled us in close and revealed to us why the house had burned -- he had looked at the moon through the branches of a tree the night of the fire. He warned us never to do it or our houses would burn too. Now Dan and I knew the secret and understood the burden that Baldy must have been carrying on his shoulders. He had caused the fire.

I remember many times in my life, beginning soon after receiving Baldy shared his revelation, that as soon as I realized I was looking at the moon through the branches of a tree – I would immediately divert my eyes as I recalled Baldy’s warning.  I did not want to cause our house to burn down.

Amazingly, long after I analyzed the event, knowing that my memories entered my mind when I saw the world through the eyes a kid, and that the source of those words was another kid – I still caught myself unconsciously diverting my eyes when I saw it! But, just becoming aware of how that event influenced my life and my reactions to something I saw, made me understand the power one person can have in another person’s by what they say – so, I started trying to identify other ideas that some other Baldy had planted in my mind so I wouldn’t be afraid to look at the moon through the branches of a tree.

Happy cogitating,
JM

No comments:

Post a Comment